Learning from Jim Elliot

God is breaking my heart and showing me what it means to love Him through Shadow of the Almighty by Elisabeth Elliot. This morning I read for 90 minutes straight as found myself hearing from God. If are not familiar with the story of the missionary martyr Jim Elliot let me encourage you to pour into one of the many works about his life.

This one is a compilation of journal entries and letters to his future wife and family back home; it is packed with who Jim Elliot was as servant of God committed to be bringing the gospel to the remotest regions of South America.

Over and over again I find myself in tears as I consider what Jim experienced for our Savior and His love for our Lord, as it drove him to make sacrifices beyond my comprehension.

Over and over, I am reminded of the necessity of the grace of God and the reality that this is His church and He will build it as He sees fit. I must rest in Him and Him alone. Dear, God help me to learn from men like Jim Elliot.

Elliot reminded me that it is God who opens the heart of man to hear the gospel. Elliot reminded me of the necessity to pray for the harvest. Elliot reminded me that it is not about numbers but individuals. Elliot reminded me that I am blessed beyond the comprehension of billions of people across the planet and that is all because of God's grace in my life.

Elliot reminded me that my little problems are nothing in the hands of Almighty God.

Once again, I am reminded of the value of reading Christian biographies in the life of the believer.